Monday, May 10, 2010

Today we lost a queen



Was it mere coincidence that Lena Horne was on my mind today? I watched an episode of one of my favorite shows from my youth, A Different World, the other night and she was the main focus of the show. After watching, I decided that I did not know enough about her life and who she really was. I must admit that prior to that show, my only true knowledge of Ms. Horne was that she was the ultimate idol of yet another television character, Fred Sanford of TV's Sanford and Son, played by the late Redd Foxx, and that she sang the song "Stormy Weather". As a young woman, it pains me that I don't know a lot about those strong women that braved this world long before me. I am on a quest now. I want to know more, and would like for the knowledge of these women to be a part of my life. I will learn about them, because I must, not because of their deaths.

Today we lost a queen...she may be gone from our sight, but she lives on through music and film. Rest in peace Ms. Lena Horne June 30, 1917 – May 9, 2010♥

No comments: